This was a really nice and easy autumnal meal. We made it vegan, I bought some vegan spinach gnocchi from Waitrose, and we used up the last of the beetroot and some garlic from the allotment. This recipe serves two but we are pretty greedy!
1 pack of gnocchi ( we used Dell’ Ugo Spinach gnocchi which is vegan)
1 Squash (we used an onion squash but butternut or similar will do). peeled and chopped into chunks.
2 red onions, peeled and cut in half, then half again.
500g chestnut mushrooms, chopped in half
2 beetroots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
200g of puy lentils
garlic cloves, peeled
bunch of sage
1/2 vegetable stock cube ( I used Kallo mushroom stock cube)
2 bay leaves
A handful of pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to around 180,
- Fill a large roasting tray with the squash, onion, beetroot and mushroom, drizzle on some olive oil and put in the oven for 50 minutes
- After 30 minutes boil then simmer the lentils in a pan with 500ml of water with the half stock cube and bay leaves. For about 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves to the roasting vegetables.
- When the roast veg has about 10 minutes left to go, add the gno chi to a pan of boiling water, boil for as long as it says on the packet, then add with the sage to the roasting tray, and drizzle a little more oil. Season with salt and pepper and return to the oven for the last 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to a dry frying pan, and heat whilstturning with a wooden spoon until they all pop and expand.
- Serve in a pasta bowl or onto a plate, serving the lentils first, then put the roasting tray mixture on the top, and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on the top.